National political news happenings for today. First,
Senator Fred Thompson makes it official on Jay Leno's The Tonight Show
. Asked by Leno "if he'd like the nation's top job" the former Tennessee senator responded: "I've never craved the job of president, but I want to do some things that only a president can do." So," Thompson added, "the answer is yes."
In most polls, Fred has tied Rudy. If it continues, we could end up with a Fred/Rudy team next year. Second: Rudy Giuliani
has released "My 12 commitments to the American people":
1. I will keep America on offense in the Terrorists' War on Us.
2. I will end illegal immigration, secure our borders, and identify every non-citizen in our nation.
3. I will restore fiscal discipline and cut wasteful Washington spending.
4. I will cut taxes and reform the tax code.
5. I will impose accountability on Washington.
6. I will lead America towards energy independence.
7. I will give Americans more control over, and access to, health care with affordable and portable free-market solutions.
8. I will increase adoptions, decrease abortions, and protect the quality of life for our children.
9. I will reform the legal system and appoint strict constructionist judges.
10. I will ensure that every community in America is prepared for terrorist attacks and natural disasters.
11. I will provide access to a quality education to every child in America by giving real school choice to parents.
12. I will expand America's involvement in the global economy and strengthen our reputation around the world.Third:
Former Wisconsin Governor and Presidential candidate, Tommy Thompson, has called a news conference for this afternoon. I expect him to announce he is QUITTING the presidential race.Fourth:
Former RNC Chair, Ed Gillespie, is on his way
to the White House as Bush's Counselor to replace Dan Bartlett who resigned earlier this month.Fifth:
Movie Mogul Steven Spielberg has announced his endorsement
of Hillary Clinton's campaign. This one to be filed in the "for whatever it's worth" file.Update:
Vice President Cheney's daughter, Elizabeth, together with some other top foriegn policy folks have joined the Fred Thompson team, and former Senator Al D'Amato of New York has also endorsed the Fred Thompson ticket. Newt Gingrich is also itching for a race, though I suspect it will be for a vice presidential slot.
Also, Bill Clinton is predicting that Al Gore will join the presidential hunt and give his wife, Hillary, a very STIFF competition.
I fully expect these three individuals to shake-up their party's races for the White House. Now if New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg gets in with Nebraska Senator, Chuck Hagel, on an independent ticket, you will be likely to really see a REAL shake-up.
Labels: Democratism, Politics, Public Service, Republicanism