Google
 
Web Osi Speaks!

Friday, December 14, 2007

Good news and bad news for Governor Steve Beshear.

First the good news: The State Executive Branch Ethics Commission approved his Cabinet picks, sparing him embarrassing ethics questions, which would have been a bad way to start off his reign.

The bad news: Phil Osborne, a Lexington public relations executive, turned down the job of Chief Communications Officer, after the Commission gave its OK, but with a caveat that he avoid potential conflicts of interest.

This bad news prompted this statement from the Governor:

Statement from Governor Beshear on Chief Communications Officer

"I first want to thank the Ethics Commission for its prompt attention to this matter. I am pleased that its members found no conflict of interest regarding the service of Secretary Robert Vance and Secretary Nikki Jackson.

I also am pleased that the Commission found that Phil Osborne could be my chief communications officer. Unfortunately, he has expressed his desire not to officially assume this assignment. As you know, he has served strictly as a volunteer up to this date. I regret his decision but completely understand.

For the more than 20 years that I have known Phil and watched his career, I can think of no one more qualified or capable to lead the restructuring of communications in the Executive Branch than him. He has demonstrated leadership roles not only with Preston-Osborne, the highly successful company he helped grow, but also in his church, civic and service activities that have taken him all over the state.

In the interim, Tom Preston will become acting chief communications officer.

Phil shared with me a note he received recently from Lexington Mayor Jim Newberry. It read in part:

'Congrats on your involvement with Steve! It will be great for both you and him. More significantly, it will be great for Kentucky.'

I agree. Only now I have to say, would have been great for Kentucky.

My thanks to Phil for the work he contributed and best wishes to him and his family in the future."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home