Google
 
Web Osi Speaks!

Friday, September 21, 2007

What are the REALLY saying: More on abortion.

The continuing gubernatorial debate has the candidates asking each other questions on abortion.
Here we go:

Beshear's Question:

As a legislator, Steve Beshear voted to add abortion restrictions, including: parental consent, a requirement that women be informed of abortion's physical and mental consequences, and a ban after the first trimester except when a mother’s life or health is threatened. What abortion restrictions have you had enacted as Governor?

Fletcher's Answer:

Steve, your half-truths won’t allow you to be someone you’re not. You voted for legislation then turned around and called similar legislation unconstitutional as Attorney General. You have a long record supporting abortion, such as when you said you’d oppose legislation like the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003 because it didn’t contain sufficient loopholes for the pro-abortion lobby. I voted for that ban.

Unlike you, I have been a consistent protector of the unborn. The first bill I signed was Fetal Homicide legislation. I support a requirement for informed consent, which was blocked in the House by your allies.

Fletcher's Question:

In 1982, you opined that laws requiring informed consent and spousal notification would be unconstitutional. It is clear that the constitution does not prevent these pro-life laws from being enacted because today they are the law in several states. Do you still believe informed consent and spousal notification are unconstitutional?

Beshear's Answer:

As Attorney General, I was bound by the Constitution and U.S Supreme Court opinions. Unlike Fletcher, I know how to follow the law and did. Like most Kentuckians, I believe abortion should be rare. As a legislator, I supported restrictions on abortion, including parental notification laws. The most effective restriction is the prevention of unwanted pregnancies. As Governor, I will increase educational and economic opportunities for women and provide access to quality, affordable health care which I hope will prevent any woman from making a difficult decision based on financial reasons. I will also launch a statewide adoption effort.

My view? Read the highlighted responses above.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad those canned political "dialogues" are so artificially constrained by the ground rules. The two men ended up talking past each other. While I think Fletcher has the better of the argument, I am severely disappointed he has not been more vocal and discussed these issues during his term. Now it just sounds like campaign rhetoric.

3:27 PM  
Blogger KYJurisDoctor said...

You are CORRECT -- again -- nich. con. .

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home