Google
 
Web Osi Speaks!

Friday, August 24, 2007

*** The Apple I-Phone is HACKED! ***



One of the selling points about the Apple I-Phone is its security. And the ONLY way to get the I-Phone is to subscribe to AT $ T, because the phone is LOCKED to that company's network. Well ... NOT anymore. An obviously computer smart and savvy New Jersey teenager, George Hotz, 17, (on the YouTube video above) has Hacked into it, breaking its security and UNLOCKING it so that one does NOT have to subscribe SOLELY to AT & T -- he uses his with T-Mobile --, and is selling the HACKED phone on EBAY. I will NOT post the HACKING procedure on this site, but you can go to the site for instructions.

I wonder if it's legal? I suspect it is (other than some issues that MAY implicate copyright and/or patent infringement(s)), since he's NOT stealing services with the HACKED phone, though he may be violating his contractual agreement with AT$T -- which requires him to commit to a PAINFUL and exclusive 2 year service agreement -- a MINOR monetary penalty.

What do you think?

Update: Actually a Russian deserves credit for the software hacking and many outfits are now springing up (like this and this), to assist in unlocking phones -- whose idea was it to begin locking phones anyway?.

URGENT UPDATE #2: I HAVE REMOVED THE LINK FOR THE EBAY AUCTION BECAUSE I SUSPECT SOMETHING SUSPICIOUS IS HAPPENING WITH IT. DO NOT GO THERE TO PLACE A BID. CONTACT THE SELLER ON HIS site DIRECTLY!!

Update #3: I-Phone Hacker offered consulting job by Louisville company.

Update #4: Threats mount, but like I said here already, I SERIOUSLY doubt if they a lawsuit will survive a challenge. Read this.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home