Google
 
Web Osi Speaks!

Monday, September 17, 2007

I was proven right, as Steve Nunn and Larry Hopkins endorse Steve Beshear!


Here is the press release:

Republicans For Steve Beshear

Lexington, KY (September 17, 2007) - Today Republican leaders, forming "Republicans for Beshear", announced their support for Democrat candidate for Governor, Steve Beshear in the upcoming gubernatorial election.
At a press conference in Lexington, Former Republican member of the State House of Representatives from Glasgow/Barren County, Steve Nunn, announced his backing of Beshear in the November election.

Nunn, the son of the last Republican governor, Louie Nunn, said Republicans need a change from the current corruption of Governor Ernie Fletcher. He calls the Fletcher administration the most disappointing administration he's seen in his lifetime.
"I'm a Republican for good government and I'm a Republican for Steve Beshear," said Nunn. "Four years of failed leadership has lead to this decision. I know Steve Beshear will move Kentucky forward."

Republican Larry Hopkins also appeared to announce his support of Beshear in the upcoming election. Hopkins represented Kentucky's Sixth Congressional District in the United States House of Representatives from 1979-1993. He was the Republican nominee for Governor in 1991 against Brereton Jones. Hopkins served in the Kentucky House of Representatives from 1972-1976 and in the Kentucky Senate from 1976-1978.
"I believe Steve Beshear can provide the leadership Kentucky needs," said Hopkins. "He can bring positive change is areas like education, the economy and healthcare - including providing quality, affordable healthcare coverage to every Kentuckian. It's terrible that we currently have 550,000 Kentuckians with no health coverage at all, including 81,000 children. Steve has the leadership ability and know-how to think outside the box and move Kentucky in the right direction."

Unable to attend the press conference but also voicing his support for Beshear is Dr. David Stevens, the Republican Fifth District Councilman on the Fayette Urban County Council. He previously served three terms as an At-Large Council member. "Steve Beshear possesses the managerial skills of a great leader and he will serve our state well," Stevens said.
"I am honored to have the support of these Republican leaders," said Beshear. "They have joined with me because they recognize the need to bring to Kentucky strong leadership that will serve the great people of this state with dignity and integrity."

The announcement was made at the former Courthouse on Main Street in Lexington.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Osi, what's your take on the governor's race? Aside from the polling and horse-race aspects, who is the better candidate for KY's future and why?

10:54 PM  
Blogger KYJurisDoctor said...

Interesting questions. Email me so I can give you my phone number to call me. Otherwise, I'll make my opinion known the closer we get to the election when I state who I'm voting for and why.

In 2003, when I was writing for Bryann Mills' weblog, I CORRECTLY predicted on my post "Tick!, Tick!!, Tick!!!" that Fletcher would win, as well as that the offices will be split EVENLY between Democrats and Republicans.

That won't be the case this time as Democrats will have the UPPER hand. Republicans will be LUCKY to win two offices!

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I'm not a public figure I'll go ahead and state what I think. As to the predictions, I agree that negative momentum will imperil the GOP's entire slate, although Richie Farmer (Agri. Commissioner) will be ok (even the Democrats are running away from his opponent due to some blatant corruption baggage). Incumbent Trey Grayson (Sec of State) is in danger; Stan Lee (Attorney Gen) was a promising firebrand candidate for the conservative wing of the party, but it's hard to get an ideological battle going downticket if there's no upticket momentum.

As for the merits, Fletcher never did anything bold on the policy front (such as proposing dramatic education reform instead of simply more money into an existing bureacracy-rich system)which would take folks' minds off the politically-charged merit hiring investigation. I've remained surprised about this during his entire term, because I know he's worked with many conservative activists during the past decade who have lots of great ideas. "Caution" is not the best strategy when the momentum has you going into a ditch.

I don't trust Beshear. Nothing about his previous record in or out of office makes me believe he's anything other than a party crony who's finally getting his long-desired chance to be in the big seat. His ideas this year have all been taken from a very liberal playbook.

I'll vote for Fletcher, and only wish others would see a side-by-side comparison. Sadly, mine is not an argument that's going to motivate a lot of folks since it boils down to a mediocre, potentially promising choice vs a very bad choice (to which too many have an emotional attachment). When it comes to traditional Democrats, they get burned again and again, but hope springs eternal with them as they dream there's still some "little man advocate" Democrat left out there somewhere, and "we think this guy is it". By the time they learn differently, it's too late.

The KY GOP is absolutely fratricidal these days. With a VERY challenging 2008 coming up, this is an extremely bad situation for us to have put ourselves in. If the trend prevails and Fletcher loses, ALL cliques within the state GOP will be too bloodthirsty for the party to be a force for constructive good, unless something (unforeseen) changes soon.

8:45 AM  
Blogger KYJurisDoctor said...

You need to call me, regardless. I may have a proposition for you.

As for the candidates, I guess you'll have to read my thoughts later -- and I'll respond to you in kind and tell you who all I'll be voting for.

I agree with your conclusion, but for many REAL Republicans it boils down to getting tired of someone (read: a fellow Republican) pissing on their legs and trying to convince them it's raining!

For one thing rainfall doesn't feel that warm; for another, it NEVER rains on one spot ONLY or on one person or even on a group of folks.

As Bob Marley used to sing: IT WON'T RAIN ON ONE MAN'S HOUSE!

As for the candidates you mention, Farmer appears to be ok (but he can't take it for granted because I smell a political tornado coming).

My friend Trey may be ok, depending on what the tornado FLATTENS.

As for Stan Lee, he stands a chance IF he can sway most of the HUGE undecideds his way, by EASILY explaining to the voters why he needs to be in the AG's seat.

That's my take now, in response to yours -- but I still think the GOP may be able to win ONLY two offices -- if lady luck smiles on them.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home