Google
 
Web Osi Speaks!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

"A Different Kind Of Public Service" Is Another Reason To Like Rand Paul.


A different kind of public service
Man says Rand Paul saved his life with free cataract surgery

By ANDREW ROBINSON, The Daily News

U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., walked the halls of Downing-McPeak Vision Center on Friday afternoon, consulting patients on various matters.

He wasn’t campaigning or fundraising, or even discussing legislative matters.

For Bowling Green resident Jerry Meredith, Paul was making a difference.

“It’s a miracle, he saved my life,” Meredith said.

On May 21, Meredith had cataract surgery performed by Paul, a Bowling Green ophthalmologist. He was already blind in one eye and could see only hand movements before the surgery.

“I got to see my grandkids for the first time,” Meredith said, leaning forward in his chair, trying to hold back tears. “He was excellent, Dr. Paul was. I’m grateful to him for doing what he’s done for me.”

Paul performed six surgeries May 21. Dr. Aaron J. Porter also performed surgeries that day. Downing-McPeak performs the surgeries annually as part of a nationwide program called “Mission: Cataract.” The program offers free cataract surgery to people of all ages who have no means to pay.

“I want to stay in practice so in case the voters decide they get tired of me, I have a job when I get home,” Paul said.

Meredith had been waiting about a year for the surgery and said he was depressed before the surgery. He couldn’t get around because of a lack of vision, and he also lost his job.

“I didn’t want to do anything,” Meredith said. “I just laid around, I was down in the dumps. I really didn’t care if I lived or died.”

Now, a week later, there’s optimism in Meredith’s voice as he speaks about his experience with Paul.

“I’m hoping to get back to work and just play with my grandkids and live the rest of it up,” Meredith said.

For Paul, it’s like living in two worlds, he said. Just a matter of days ago, Paul was on the Senate floor, filibustering against the USA Patriot Act.

“When I’m up (in Washington, D.C.), I’m in the middle of doing a filibuster and then I’m back home and my wife has a list of things I’m supposed to do in the yard,” Paul said.

Paul saw roughly half a dozen patients as he made the rounds around the office. Washington, D.C., didn’t come up - rather, he consulted about post-surgery matters, such as when to apply eye drops.

“I’d like to ask a lot of questions (about Washington, D.C.),” Meredith said. “I just haven’t gotten up the gumption.”

Paul is among just a few members of Congress who still occasionally provide medical services, such as U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.

“It’s hard to find time,” Paul said. “Not all of them find the time to do them.”

Paul said he is looking for other opportunities to provide his services statewide in Kentucky.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home