Google
 
Web Osi Speaks!

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

"Scooter" Libby draws prison sentence and a big fine.


Today is "Scooter" Libby's sentencing and the Judge "threw the book at him", giving him 30 months in prison and $250,000.00, plus some probation, for perjury and obstruction of justice.

You can read letters written in favor and in opposition to "Scooter".

Remember "Scooter" Libby? He was Vice President Dick Cheney's Chief of Staff and he was NOT the one who leaked the information "outing" Valerie Plamme as a CIA agent, but he was the ONLY one charged with a crime. Why? I believe Libby tried to protect his boss, the possible "ouster", and he lied to the Grand Jury, which got him indicted and today sentenced.

Now lying to the Grand Jury is BAD, don't get me wrong. But considering that the person(s) who committed the original crime of "outing" a CIA agent was/were NEVER charged with ANYTHING, I ask you: was his indictment a miscarriage of justice? Does the punishment fit the crime and the sentence fair and just? More importantly, should Bush now pardon him as many in the GOP are demanding?

Update: BAD news for "Scooter" as the sentencing Judge has denied a request for him to be out on bond pending appeal. This means that "Scooter" must begin serving his sentence while his appeal is proceeding, suggesting that the Judge believes he has NO chance at having a successful appeal! This latest development puts the onus on Bush to decide whether to pardon him before he reports to prison or look the other way and let him go.

What do you guess Bush will do?

Update: Was Libby's sentence fair? Yes and No.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you were apolitical? You just sang the republic talking points in perfect pitch. There would have been convictions in the original case if your friend scooter hadn't lied to the grand jury to begin with. I don't buy your pretense. Maybe the reason why only 24k hits.

12:12 PM  
Blogger KYJurisDoctor said...

The facts ARE the facts, whether or not you like them. There is NOTHING that I have stated here that does NOT state (and support) the facts. Now you can answer the questions or quit your carping. I am NOT going to play your overtly partisan games, stats. or NOT. I view the world Conservatively and NOT partisanly, as I stated in my profile. If you need someone to view the world our own way, find you another blog. As for my stat. hits, I just started my blog less than a year ago. And even then, I did NOT start recording my stats. until months later when I found out I probably should. More importantly, I am NOT going to artificially MANIPULATE so as to inflate my hit count so I can make myself feel GOOD. Since this is my blog, I opine, and you agree or NOT. It makes me NO difference!

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NPR only talk about the letters speaking in Libby's favor with no mention of opposing letters to the judge.

Now that Libby is a convicted liar, could you believe him if he rolled over on Cheney?

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You overlook the facts that 1) he was specifically told to disclose Valerie Plame's then-secret identity and did disclose it to 2) Judy, the New York Times stenographer. Judy went to jail to protect his lie and now so should he.
What he was convicted of was lying to the grand jury. He deserves jail time because he hid the truth so that the current President could get reelected by a small majority. Over a thousand of our brave soldiers have died since then as well as hundreds of thousands of Iraqi's.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Compare and contrast the treatment the same Bush Justice Department gave Sandy Berger. Another little tidbit about Scooter--he made a lot of money trying to secure a pardon for the bottom feeding traitor, Marc Rich. As the world frikkin turns.

4:30 PM  
Blogger KYJurisDoctor said...

So pardon or not, Scoobe?

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home